Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PIG Blankets
02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
RE: PIG Blankets
Sounds like pig blankets should be left for the pigs!

Andy @ A.T.C.
(602)828.4188
Visit Arizona Tortoise Compound!
and
Like us on Facebook
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
(02-24-2012 07:16 AM)Arizona Tortoise Compound Wrote:  Sounds like pig blankets should be left for the pigs!

Agreed.

[Image: ubd9571.png]
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
(02-24-2012 05:21 AM)bcurtis Wrote:  Fernando, If you ventilate the area under the floor you are going to lose your heat. All you want the heat mat to do is warm the surrounding air underneath the floor and take the NY chill off the raised wood floor surface. The heat mat should not be touching anything other than the soil it is sitting on. But I think I would consider the outcome if anything were to go wrong.

Wouldn't the escaping heat from the ventilation area also be a benefit? Like heated air?

I don't know I guess i'm thinking of something different.

[Image: ubd9571.png]
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I got this link from "That Other Forum"

http://www.osborne-ind.com/petsub/heatpa..._pads2.htm

They say to not cover with anything for two reasons. To protect the pad, and protect from fire.

Perhaps just laying it on the dirt is the best idea! My torts are not rocket scientists, so I hope they don't try to nest on it because its warm!

Like I said, it would be used during the months of May and September only. I had a really poor hatch percentage last year, and I attribute it to a very cold and wet May. I could be way off base, but I have to start somewhere.
Interesting insite!

http://www.tortoise.org/general/heatpad.html

Scott

Western Hermanns Tortoise Breeder
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: AutoksDoods
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
(02-24-2012 09:54 AM)Fernando Wrote:  
(02-24-2012 05:21 AM)bcurtis Wrote:  Fernando, If you ventilate the area under the floor you are going to lose your heat. All you want the heat mat to do is warm the surrounding air underneath the floor and take the NY chill off the raised wood floor surface. The heat mat should not be touching anything other than the soil it is sitting on. But I think I would consider the outcome if anything were to go wrong.

Wouldn't the escaping heat from the ventilation area also be a benefit? Like heated air?

I don't know I guess i'm thinking of something different.
Fernando,
I thought Tyler was talking about ventilating it to the outside. If you ventilate it back into the sleeping area you would probably end up with the torts knocking dirt, bedding and feces back under the floor and maybe onto the heat pad. I guess you could use pipes to ventilate the heated area up into the sleeping area.

Scott, I think I would be more inclined to use additional heating elements in the sleeping area. I would also put down some type of water proof barrier a few inches under the soil to keep any water from seeping into the sleeping area. Maybe even a piece of foam under the barrier.

[Image: TortoiseOLD-avatar.jpg]
........Bill........
www.hermanni.orbs.com
www.tortoises.orbs.com
03-02-2012, 05:22 AM
I have used the Kane pig blanket heater in the past. I put it under a false bottom floor and I put 6 inches of dirt on top of the floor. I never had any issues. I also used to use flexwat under tank heating for my hatchlings when I lived up the mountain. I put both the flexwat and the pig blanket heater on a thermostat. I put the thermostat sensor between the heater and the sub-floor and set it at 86f.
Find all posts by this user